Most travellers to East Africa like to combine a tour of Masai Mara with a trip to Serengeti. Unknown to many, these two amazing parks share a border but you can not simply cross from the Masai Mara to Serengeti for game tracking. The animals do by the way but not humans. The only option of accessing both parks is by doing a torturous trip via Isebania/Serare road. Safarink, a local airline providing domestic scheduled flights came up with a flying option to make it flexible for travellers doing the two great parks.
Below is a news release they did on launching the route connecting the two parks;
NEW LINK FROM MASAI MARA TO SERENGETI
Safarilink is pleased to announce yet another destination to our network of services that enables passengers to combine a safari from Masai Mara to the Serengeti camps in Tanzania.
The connection from Mara to Serengeti (and v.v.), is offered in conjunction with Coastal Aviation and is accessible via Migori (on the Kenyan side) and Tarime (on the Tanzanian side) near the border point of Isabania. The connection involves a short scenic road transfer between the two strips of Migori and Tarime, it is a convenient and time-saving option for clients wanting to experience both the Serengeti and Masai Mara.
The service commenced in January 2012 and operates during the high seasons only from Mid December to end March and beginning of July to end of October each year. During these periods, the service operates daily subject to minimum 2 pax per strip, starting from the Tanzanian side with Coastal Aviation picking clients from the various strips in Serengeti (according to the number of pax booked) from approximately 0820 and arriving at Tarime by 1025. There is a road transfer via Isabania border point for immigration clearance, before proceeding to Migori on the Kenyan side, where clients will connect to the Safarilink flight to Masai Mara departing at 1215.
The reverse of this schedule from Masai Mara to Serengeti departs the Mara at 1130 to arrive at Migori at 1200 where clients are met for the road transfer to Tarime via Isabania. Arrival at Tarime is approximately 1330 to meet the Coastal aircraft that departs at 1400 for the Serengeti destinations.
Reservations can be made through either Safarilink or Coastal Aviation for the entire journey (including the road transfer) and through fares are available on request.
Please be aware of the following conditions:
- The Service will operate during high seasons only – from 01 July to 31 October and 16 December to 31 March.
- The service operates subject to minimum 2 pax being booked to/from each strip in the Mara or Serengeti, but there will be a maximum of 3 strips served in the Mara on any given day – whichever three has maximum pax loads.
- In the low season, the service can operate subject to minimum 4pax being booked.
- The road transfer is only possible if a Coastal flight is booked.
- There is no child fare on this connecting service.
- All other general conditions such as cancellation and amendment policies, baggage allowance (strictly 15 kgs p. person), etc, remain the same as with all other terms and conditions for the respective carriers.
Please note that agents and operators must ensure vehicles are at Migori strip to meet or drop passengers given that lounge or waiting facilities are not available.
It is highly recommended that clients obtain a visa prior to travel to save time. All passengers must have a valid yellow fever card while crossing from Kenya to Tanzania.